Aromaterapia is a traditional, natural and effective way to treat a variety of ailments including allergy symptoms.
It is important to use a high quality pure, natural essential oil with genuine ingredients, not a synthetic version which won’t bring the same benefits, and always follow instructions.
Useful Oils for Allergies
- Roman chamomile
or camomile is soothing and can lessen your reaction to pollen.
- Lavanda is renowned for its healing, calming and soothing properties.
- Geranium is balancing. (Geranium may not be suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women as it affects the hormones).
- Pine is strengthening and can help clear nasal congestion.
- Rosmarino is uplifting and can help clear nasal congestion.
- Juniper is detoxifying.
- Eucalyptus is clearing.
- Niaouli e Tea Tree oil also have helpful properties for hayfever.
- Carrier oils includere sesame, sunflower, coconut and olive.
Aromatherapy Top Tips for Hay Fever
- Spray a homemade lavender or eucalyptus room spray throughout the house and especially in the bedroom before you go to sleep.
- Try some on your pillow to help you sleep and to clear your sinuses while you sleep.
- A blend of chamomile, lavender and lemon added to your bath or diffused in a burner may help relieve symptoms, particularly at night before you go to sleep.
How to Use Essential Oils and Herbs to Soothe Hayfever Symptoms
- Boil leaves in water to make a room or body spray – try eucalyptus
- Add a few drops to a body cream and apply to your skin, or add to a carrier oil to make a massage oil or a chest rub.
- Put a few drops on a handkerchief or a tissue and inhale before and after sneezing.
- Burn in an oil burner.
- Dilute a few drops in your warm bath.
Allergy Relief – Essential Oils and their Properties
All of the following oils may be useful in helping to alleviate hayfever symptoms.
Roman camomile or Roman chamomile – excellent calming properties. Effective for irritation, impatience and feeling disagreeable. Antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. Blends well with lavender, geranium, tea tree, rose and lemon.
Lavanda – The most versatile oil. Calming and relaxing it combats stress and crisis. Antiseptic properties help kill off cold and flu-like symptoms and other ailments. Has a healing effect on the skin and the mind and body. Can also be used to clean wounds and treat burns. Blends well with geranium and lemon.
Finding an Aromatherapist
Register of Qualified Aromatherapists
a professional association of aromatherapy practitioners who have undergone training of the highest standards. Send a SAE to their postal address or call on the number below to find an aromatherapist in your area.
P O Box 3431, Danbury, Chelmsford, Essex CM3 4UA
Tale 01245 227957 Fax 01245 222152
Geranium – an uplifting oil, geranium has an all-over balancing effect on the mind and body. It helps to relieve feelings of stress and anxiety and also has a balancing effect on the hormone system. Blends well with lavender.
Eucalyptus – eucalyptus oil has a cooling and deodorizing effect on the body. It is particularly helpful in clearing respiratory problems and with coughs and colds, and hayfever. Also helps with throat infections, sinusitis and catarrhal conditions. It soothes inflammation and eases mucus, clearing the head from the stuffiness of colds and hayfever. It helps to clear the mind and focus concentration. Blends well with lavender and lemon.
Tea Tree oil is very important in the health of the immune system. It helps the body to fight off infections. Can also help ease nasal congestion. Blends well with geranium, lavender and lemon.
Niaouli oil helps to increases concentration and clears the head, while lifting the spirits. It has strong antiseptic properties. Very useful to fight infections including colds, fevers, flu, chest infections, bronchite, tuberculosis, pneumonia, whooping cough, asma, sinusitis, sore throats, catarrh and laryngitis. Blends well with lavender.
Lemon – a clean smelling citrus oil good for helping you make decisions, lemon essential oil improves concentration. Blends well with lavender, rose, eucalyptus and geranium.
Carrier oils include sesame, sunflower, coconut and olive.
Information taken from http://www.essentialoils.co.za/extra.htm – Index of essential oils