HĂ¸feber, eller sĂ¦sonbetinget allergisk rhinitis, er en allergisk reaktion pĂĄ pollen.
When the pollen in the body goes over a certain level – you could call it your sensitivity level – your body will start to produce extra histamines. Histaminer kan producere alle mulige reaktioner i mennesker: Nysen, lĂ¸bende nĂ¦se, Ă¸mme Ă¸jne, klĂ¸ende Ă¸jne, itchy throat, itchy ears, itchy roof of the mouth – the list goes on.
The vast majority of people who get hayfever are affected during the months of May and June because they are allergic to grass pollen and these months are when Grass pollen is around. Dog, there are many different pollens which come out at all times of the year; tree pollen starts in February and there is some sort of pollen around every month of the year.
It depends what research you read, but it is generally accepted that 15 – 20% of the population suffer from hayfever, and that this percentage increase to as much as 35-40% i 15-25 year olds. So as you get older, your hayfever might become less severe and more bearable.
But there appear to be no rules, different people react differently to different things and some weird things happen. A woman told me last year that she had never had hayfever in her life until she became pregnant with her first baby. She then suffered dreadfully every summer until she had her third baby when the hayfever stopped just as suddenly as it had started. Folk siger, at pollen er mindre rigelige, når det regner, men jeg har haft nogle forfærdelige dage, hvor det regner og været upåvirket i samme uge, hvor solen kom ud - og jeg har haft folk fortæller mig de har haft lignende erfaringer. So hayfever can affect one person very badly one year while another has virtually no reaction. The following year these roles can be completely reversed. So it can be a pretty difficult thing to pin down. But there are lost of things you can do about it.
Drug based remedies
Since the culprit of hayfever is the histamines which, when produced more abundantly than normal, cause all these horrible reactions, the scientists managed to produce things called anti histamines. Disse gøre præcis, hvad det siger for tin og de "Bosh" de histaminer. Så når de histaminer er "boshed ', the reaction reduces. Which is great except for one thing. Histamines are the things in the brain which contribute to keeping us alert attentive and a wake. So when you bosh them you get drowsy, less attentive and less alert. No wonder that your work might suffer in these circumstances. Dog, modern anti histamines are much better and they have minimised these side effects although it is, of course, very difficult to get rid of them completely.
Then there are steroids. Steroids are like magic. I remember when my daughter at age 3 was diagnosed with arthritis and had got to the stage where she could literally hardly move. She was in a hospital bed and the consultant was telling us she needed steroids. We hated the idea of pumping steroids into such a young child and sought advice form a GP who was also a trained homeopath. She said that she with her homeopathy she would be able to fight the effects of the arthritis over a long period of time. Men, she said, "Hvis det var min datter, Jeg ville give hende steroider. "Vi gjorde, og inden for få minutter af lægemidlet administreres vores datter stod op og gik rundt på hospitalet. Hun havde ikke været i stand til at bevæge sig for 3 dag! The problem is that the side effects can be really awful. But steroids, usually administered as nasal sprays will also (often) be effective. And they are administered in small dose and only for relatively short periods of the year. Nevertheless, understandably because of the many possible unpleasant side effects, lots of people are uncomfortable about using them.
There are also various sensitising injections that can be tried which work for many people. You should consult your GP who will be able to help you decide which of these will be best for you if you wish to go down this route.
Stop Hayfever WITHOUT the drugs!
But there is another way. Instead of looking for a hayfever treatment, why not prevent it? By accident, I came across something which I developed into HayMaxTM, a drug-free and organic pollen barrier balm. When you apply a small amount to the bottom of the nose, some of the pollen which would have gone up your nose, sticks to the HayMaxTM instead. So less pollen goes inside. Hvis du har mindre pollen i din krop, så du ikke når det punkt, hvor din krop reagerer på det (your sensitivity level), du behøver ikke at tage nogen medicin for at rette reaktionen. Du har stoppet det sker i første omgang. Selvom folk ofte henvise til HayMaxTM som en naturlig høfeber behandling eller en fysisk høfeber afhjælpe det ikke er. Det er bare en meget simpel forebyggelse.
Of course there are also plenty of natural treatments and remedies available for hayfever and, as I said earlier, we are all different and different things will work for different people. Apples and red onions contain a natural anti-histamine called quercetin and pineapples contain something called bromelain which helps the body absorb the quercetin. So you could eat lots of these. Conveniently though, there are manufacturers who have extracted these elements and made them into tablets which some people find helpful. There is lots of evidence to show that Butterbur, when extracted properly, is also very helpful for hayfever sufferers. And many people have heard of a teaspoon of local honey a day for a month or two before your season starts to sensitise to your local pollen. (Not so good when you leave your local area though).
Then there are the simple practical things you can do to avoid the pollen. Here are few tips to wrap up with:
HĂ¸feber: General Tips
• Pollen niveauer er på deres højeste i morgen og aften - så undgå havearbejdeoroutdoor activities at these times. Apparently, pollen counts tend to reach a peak between 9 a.m. og 12 midday. After this they start dropping until around 5 p.m. when they start to rise again to another peak around 7 p.m.
• Prøv ikke at forlade udvaskning på linjen i tidlig morgen eller aften, da pollen vil samle sig på det.
• Ændring af tøj og bader, når du kommer i løbet af disse peak pollen perioder kan hjælpe med at reducere mængden af pollen omkring dig.
• Påfør en pollen barriere balsam (Haymana ™) to the base of your nose to trap pollen before it enters your body.
• Bær solbriller – this helps to stop pollen grains hitting your eyes. One of the worst symptoms of Hay fever is itchy eyes. You can put HayMaxTM around the eyes, for, but be careful not to get it in the eye. The HayMaxTM would probably not hurt your eye but bacteria from your finger might get into your eye and infect it.
• Brug en luftrenser i dit soveværelse i sommermånederne, this is claimed to give relief from hayfever symptoms at night.
HĂ¸feber: Gardening Tips
• Vælg kvindelige plantesorter til din have - som mandlige sorter er normalt pollen skabere. Meget ofte uden kerner eller frugtesløse sorter vil være mand - så man undgår disse bør hjælpe. Less pollen in your garden should mean less hayfever!
• Plant dobbelte blomster i din have - såsom to hoveder krysantemum - som ofte har kronblade i stedet for pollen dele. And keep a check on weeds! They often turn into great pollen producers!
• Undgå kemikalier og pesticider - det er blevet hævdet, at eksponering for disse kan udløse allergiske reaktioner hos personer, som tidligere havde nogen allergier.
• Vælg resistente planter sygdom til din have - som sammen med sygdomme kommer alle mulige sporer og allergener, der kan gøre dit liv en elendighed. And some people advise growing plants and trees native to the area, as they are more likely to grow well and be less diseased. Hvis en plante ikke ser sundt, it may be best to remove it. Så en sundere haven kunne resultere i en sundere dig - med mindre høfeber at bekymre sig om!
HĂ¸feber: Diet Tips
• Start forberedelserne til høfeber sæsonen en måned eller to i forvejen.
• Hold din kost ernæringsmæssigt varieret, full of essential fatty acids (such as from nuts and seeds) and vitamin C, to help reduce inflammation during the summer months.
• Spis rødløg og æbler regelmæssigt, as they are both high in quercetin, a natural anti-histamine.
• Tag en teskefuld lokal honning opløst i varmt vand hver dag i en måned før høfeber sæsonen, to desensitise your system against local pollen. (Kan være et nyttigt tip, så længe du ikke går ud af dit lokalområde).